Sunday 31 May 2015

Brief History On My Computer Madness Part 1 of 2

Part 1

I used the term "madness" because there were times when I just can't get myself away from flickering my PC - for up to 10 hours, straight! Well, that was way back then before I got married, masa bujang lah. The main reason for that ridiculous duration was gaming and hacking. But, do mind the speed of the processor and it's RAM 10 or 20 years ago, okay.
So, the brief history, my fellow readers...

1992  
My first exposure to PC - Windows 3.11 (remember floppy disks?) It took me 2 weeks to master the exe of DOS

1995  
My second year in UPM. I initially bought an e-typewriter (Casio to be precise) to do my assignments. It really developed my typing skills. Really...
Got my first laptop, NEC Versa 550D around October that year. It's OS, guess what, Windows 95! It was god-sent, the OS of course. I spent about 2 months to study the full potential of Windows 95, not to mention the scarce related books and hacking journals.

1996
Ha ha haaa... Did my first hacking! The site: Faculty of Engineering, UPM. (they were the first faculty to implement online website). The client: My housemates (it was their fault, they dared me). The task: To tamper their (my housemates') exam results. The end result: Four students (yeah, my housemates...) got A's for half of their papers on that semester. The conclusion: So much for their claimed firewall...

1998
Got my degree, appointed as a teacher in SMK Membakut. Here I met two of the best nerds specifically in computer madness, namely Cikgu Zakimi and Cikgu Sazril.
My NEC laptop broke down a year later, after enduring about four years of total abuse (just kidding). Mind you, it was my best teacher on computing.

1999
I kept myself away from personal computer or PC for months, mainly because I don't have enough money to buy myself a decent PC. But not until the released of Windows 2000, aaarrggh!

2000
The millennium bug did occurred... My Casio G-Shock died when I woke up that morning.
Since I don't have enough money to buy a PC, I built my first PC from scratch by means of used hardware and parts i.e trash. Most of the parts (or trash) I sourced from Cikgu Zakimi. And, voila - I've got myself a PC! No money spent, except for the CD-R burner and CRT (what?) monitor. And also some cables.
And again, I spent ridiculous hours playing NFS and Age of Empire (it's the grandfather of CoC, you know)...


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment